Saturday, March 3, 2012

Getting Ready to Start the Garden Again | Married Food

Perhaps because we?ve had a mild winter this year, but I?m already thinking about what to grow in our small family garden. ?We don?t have a big amount of space ? instead of cramming it with junk, I?d like to grow something. I think it?ll be a bit more fun this year with our baby girl.?We?ve done pretty well with peppers and herbs, but this year I?d like to branch out just a tad.

This will be the third year we?ve had a small garden. The first two were learning?experiences. We managed to grow a bit and we managed to lose some ? either to neglect, lack or gardening knowledge, or my personal favorite hungry animals.

  • Icebox Watermelon vegetable garden 300x199 Getting Ready to Start the Garden Again

    Our garden space is about 5% of this person's garden.

  • Tomatoes
  • Cucumber
  • Bell Pepper
  • Jalapeno Peppers
  • Habenero Peppers
  • Eggplant
  • Basil
  • Thyme
  • Mint
  • Rosemary

I was really excited to see the watermelons grow on the vine outside the other year, but when I came home one afternoon, I saw that I wasn?t the only one. Apparently a deer or a rabbit grabbed some (I don?t know what eats what) came for a visit and tore it up.

Looking back, I?m growing to plan ahead this year instead of grabbing what was on sale at Lowe?s. Hopefully it will mean we?ll have a much more productive return on our garden.

What?s the Easiest to Grow?

I wish my first item on the list wasn?t?convenience, but honestly if a vegetable is high?maintenance, then it won?t make it in my garden. Peppers are?definitely?on the list and so are herbs, those grew with practically no help for us. any suggestions on other easy to grow vegetables?

What Would We Actually Eat?

I?m not a big cucumber fan, so I?m going to pass on that. Last year we received quite a bit of cucumbers from The Produce Box, so I think we?ll be fine this year. I?m thinking of adding beans and possibly swiss chard. I think they?d make a great addition to our garden.

Thoughts on Family Gardens

I?m hoping to get started next week and keep updating here on how it goes. I?d love to get your feedback. Do you have a family garden at home? How big is it? How much time do you spend taking care of it? If you have any tips, please feel free to share them!

Photo Credit

Source: http://marriedfood.com/getting-ready-to-start-the-garden-again/

cabin in the woods dan quayle brett favre packers stock packers stock mastectomy st. nicholas

No comments:

Post a Comment